I must say this is not only my favorite work of N. Jaar from 2020 (third already), but might be overall. Innovative and very interesting.
This “single” released by Arca earlier this year is my favorite work of her to date. It is a brilliant collection of experimental tunes, with references to Gridlock’s post-industrial records from the 90’s, Flying Lotus’s wonky downtempo, Burial’s later ambient explorations, and Arca’s own world, expanded in various directions. Easily listening on repeat. A remarkable piece of electronic music from 2020.
In the order released.
- The Twilight Sad — It Won/t Be Like This All the Time [gothic rock]
- Boy Harsher — Careful [darkwave]
- Massimo Volume — Il nuotatore [post-rock]
- King Midas Sound — Solitude [dark ambient, poetry]
- DIÄT — Positive Disintegration [post-punk]
- FET.NAT — Le Mal [no wave]
- Patricia — Heavy Merging (EP) [acid techno]
- SASAMI — SASAMI [indie rock]
- Shlohmo — The End [glitch hop]
- Bogdan Raczynski — Rave ‘Till You Cry [drill and bass]
- Fontaines D.C. — Dogrel [post-punk]
- Otoboke Beaver (おとぼけビ～バ～) — Itekoma Hits (いてこまヒッツ) [hardcore punk]
- Tim Hecker — Anoyo [drone, gagaku]
- black midi — Schlagenheim [experimental rock, math rock]
- Hatchie — Keepsake [dream pop]
- Thom Yorke — ANIMA [glitch pop]
- Drab Majesty — Modern Mirror [gothic rock]
- Black Country, New Road — Athen’s, France and Sunglasses (singles) [experimental rock]
- The Murder Capital — When I Have Fears [post-punk]
- Algiers — Can the Sub_Bass Speak? (single) [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- HTRK — Venus in Leo [ambient pop]
- Bat for Lashes — Lost Girls [synthpop]
- Caroline Polachek — Pang [art pop]
- Floating Points — Crush [future garage, IDM]
- Matana Roberts — Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- Sudan Archives — Athena [art pop]
- Andy Stott — It Should Be Us [dub techno, dubstep]
- FKA twigs — Magdalene [art pop]
- Have a Nice Life — Sea of Worry [gothic rock]
- Life on Venus — Odes to the Void [shoegaze]
- Special Request — Vortex, Bedroom Tapes, Offworld, and Zero Fucks [acid techno, ambient techno, breakbeat, jungle]
“I am a child of the wind…”
Album of the year 2019.
Release date: October 18, 2019
Genres: avant-garde, avant-garde jazz, poetry, spoken word
Highlight: Trail of the Smiling Sphinx
It was a few weeks ago that I was consumed by this album. I am looking forward to going back. To the story told by Matana Roberts. To the overall atmosphere. In a certain sense, there is a connection to contemporary works by other Constellation‘s avant-garde musicians.
Listen. Listen to previous chapters. There supposed to be eight more.
Citing her Bandcamp page:
I am a mixed media sound artist, saxophonist and composer. I do not live in Indonesia, but band camp won’t let me just say “Earth”. I also tried “Saturn”, but that didn’t work either:). Thank you for supporting my work.
This requires sharing.
Might be the only photograph I have ever taken in a concert. (And I have been to “a few”.)
Almost 15 years we are without Jhonn Balance (and Coil). And almost 9 years without Peter Christopherson. The archival recordings are still being released though. This score was created together with Danny Hyde in the early 90’s.
A mix of experimental electronic music and Twin Peaks. The creative range is stunning.
A heavy Slint influence (it’s good). The only released song. There are live recordings which are pretty awesome.