This “single” released by Arca earlier this year is my favorite work of her to date. It is a brilliant collection of experimental tunes, with references to Gridlock’s post-industrial records from the 90’s, Flying Lotus’s wonky downtempo, Burial’s later ambient explorations, and Arca’s own world, expanded in various directions. Easily listening on repeat. A remarkable piece of electronic music from 2020.
In the order released.
- The Twilight Sad — It Won/t Be Like This All the Time [gothic rock]
- Boy Harsher — Careful [darkwave]
- Massimo Volume — Il nuotatore [post-rock]
- King Midas Sound — Solitude [dark ambient, poetry]
- DIÄT — Positive Disintegration [post-punk]
- FET.NAT — Le Mal [no wave]
- Patricia — Heavy Merging (EP) [acid techno]
- SASAMI — SASAMI [indie rock]
- Shlohmo — The End [glitch hop]
- Bogdan Raczynski — Rave ‘Till You Cry [drill and bass]
- Fontaines D.C. — Dogrel [post-punk]
- Otoboke Beaver (おとぼけビ～バ～) — Itekoma Hits (いてこまヒッツ) [hardcore punk]
- Tim Hecker — Anoyo [drone, gagaku]
- black midi — Schlagenheim [experimental rock, math rock]
- Hatchie — Keepsake [dream pop]
- Thom Yorke — ANIMA [glitch pop]
- Drab Majesty — Modern Mirror [gothic rock]
- Black Country, New Road — Athen’s, France and Sunglasses (singles) [experimental rock]
- The Murder Capital — When I Have Fears [post-punk]
- Algiers — Can the Sub_Bass Speak? (single) [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- HTRK — Venus in Leo [ambient pop]
- Bat for Lashes — Lost Girls [synthpop]
- Caroline Polachek — Pang [art pop]
- Floating Points — Crush [future garage, IDM]
- Matana Roberts — Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- Sudan Archives — Athena [art pop]
- Andy Stott — It Should Be Us [dub techno, dubstep]
- FKA twigs — Magdalene [art pop]
- Have a Nice Life — Sea of Worry [gothic rock]
- Life on Venus — Odes to the Void [shoegaze]
- Special Request — Vortex, Bedroom Tapes, Offworld, and Zero Fucks [acid techno, ambient techno, breakbeat, jungle]
“I am a child of the wind…”
Album of the year 2019.
Release date: October 18, 2019
Genres: avant-garde, avant-garde jazz, poetry, spoken word
Highlight: Trail of the Smiling Sphinx
It was a few weeks ago that I was consumed by this album. I am looking forward to going back. To the story told by Matana Roberts. To the overall atmosphere. In a certain sense, there is a connection to contemporary works by other Constellation‘s avant-garde musicians.
Listen. Listen to previous chapters. There supposed to be eight more.
Citing her Bandcamp page:
I am a mixed media sound artist, saxophonist and composer. I do not live in Indonesia, but band camp won’t let me just say “Earth”. I also tried “Saturn”, but that didn’t work either:). Thank you for supporting my work.
This requires sharing.
Might be the only photograph I have ever taken in a concert. (And I have been to “a few”.)
Almost 15 years we are without Jhonn Balance (and Coil). And almost 9 years without Peter Christopherson. The archival recordings are still being released though. This score was created together with Danny Hyde in the early 90’s.
A mix of experimental electronic music and Twin Peaks. The creative range is stunning.
A heavy Slint influence (it’s good). The only released song. There are live recordings which are pretty awesome.