Very nice. Thought of Kelela.
Love this record. Starts with ambient techno/IDM tracks akin early Autechre, Aphex Twin, Plaid (especially on “Ezekiel”), but plenty of new interesting beats and ideas. From “North Brink” to “Torch Song” techno/IDM is blended with UK garage, 2-step/dubstep, jungle—my favorite part. Then a progressive electronic “Eris & Dysnomia”. And, finally, a beautiful space ambient/glitch “Vitesse”.
In the order released.
- The Twilight Sad — It Won/t Be Like This All the Time [gothic rock]
- Boy Harsher — Careful [darkwave]
- Massimo Volume — Il nuotatore [post-rock]
- King Midas Sound — Solitude [dark ambient, poetry]
- DIÄT — Positive Disintegration [post-punk]
- FET.NAT — Le Mal [no wave]
- Patricia — Heavy Merging (EP) [acid techno]
- SASAMI — SASAMI [indie rock]
- Shlohmo — The End [glitch hop]
- Bogdan Raczynski — Rave ‘Till You Cry [drill and bass]
- Fontaines D.C. — Dogrel [post-punk]
- Otoboke Beaver (おとぼけビ～バ～) — Itekoma Hits (いてこまヒッツ) [hardcore punk]
- Tim Hecker — Anoyo [drone, gagaku]
- black midi — Schlagenheim [experimental rock, math rock]
- Hatchie — Keepsake [dream pop]
- Thom Yorke — ANIMA [glitch pop]
- Drab Majesty — Modern Mirror [gothic rock]
- Black Country, New Road — Athen’s, France and Sunglasses (singles) [experimental rock]
- The Murder Capital — When I Have Fears [post-punk]
- Algiers — Can the Sub_Bass Speak? (single) [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- HTRK — Venus in Leo [ambient pop]
- Bat for Lashes — Lost Girls [synthpop]
- Caroline Polachek — Pang [art pop]
- Floating Points — Crush [future garage, IDM]
- Matana Roberts — Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- Sudan Archives — Athena [art pop]
- Andy Stott — It Should Be Us [dub techno, dubstep]
- FKA twigs — Magdalene [art pop]
- Have a Nice Life — Sea of Worry [gothic rock]
- Life on Venus — Odes to the Void [shoegaze]
- Special Request — Vortex, Bedroom Tapes, Offworld, and Zero Fucks [acid techno, ambient techno, breakbeat, jungle]
Release date: December 6, 2019
Genres: 2-step, ambient, dubstep, future garage
This brings memories.
Release date: October 22, 2019
Genres: ambient, downtempo, dub techno, folk, future garage
Highlight: U Niadzelku
Very interesting mix of Belarusian folk with Andy Stott and Forest Swords-like dub components. An improvement over their already fine debut, Zhnivo.
Release date: October 21, 2019
Genres: 2-step, ambient, ambient techno, breakbeat, future garage, IDM
Highlight: Slow Music
Second EP from Skee Mask this year after 808BB. The latter is also of interest. On ISS004, we see certain amount of interest in future garage, but WARP-type ambient techno and IDM of early to mid 90’s is still a considerable influence.
Release date: October 18, 2019
Genres: ambient techno, future garage, IDM, progressive electronic
Highlight: Last Bloom
Complex and eclectic album influenced both by 90’s ambient techno and IDM best examples and recent future garage-related records. LesAlpx, on the other hand, is more in line with Jon Hopkins‘s recent work. Certainly, one of the best electronic releases of the year.