Love this record. Starts with ambient techno/IDM tracks akin early Autechre, Aphex Twin, Plaid (especially on “Ezekiel”), but plenty of new interesting beats and ideas. From “North Brink” to “Torch Song” techno/IDM is blended with UK garage, 2-step/dubstep, jungle—my favorite part. Then a progressive electronic “Eris & Dysnomia”. And, finally, a beautiful space ambient/glitch “Vitesse”.
As two years ago, new material comes in February. Now shorter, more experimental, some echoes to 2012–2017, to work with Fka Twigs, to Autechre. Beautiful album, will grow on me.
In the order released.
- The Twilight Sad — It Won/t Be Like This All the Time [gothic rock]
- Boy Harsher — Careful [darkwave]
- Massimo Volume — Il nuotatore [post-rock]
- King Midas Sound — Solitude [dark ambient, poetry]
- DIÄT — Positive Disintegration [post-punk]
- FET.NAT — Le Mal [no wave]
- Patricia — Heavy Merging (EP) [acid techno]
- SASAMI — SASAMI [indie rock]
- Shlohmo — The End [glitch hop]
- Bogdan Raczynski — Rave ‘Till You Cry [drill and bass]
- Fontaines D.C. — Dogrel [post-punk]
- Otoboke Beaver (おとぼけビ～バ～) — Itekoma Hits (いてこまヒッツ) [hardcore punk]
- Tim Hecker — Anoyo [drone, gagaku]
- black midi — Schlagenheim [experimental rock, math rock]
- Hatchie — Keepsake [dream pop]
- Thom Yorke — ANIMA [glitch pop]
- Drab Majesty — Modern Mirror [gothic rock]
- Black Country, New Road — Athen’s, France and Sunglasses (singles) [experimental rock]
- The Murder Capital — When I Have Fears [post-punk]
- Algiers — Can the Sub_Bass Speak? (single) [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- HTRK — Venus in Leo [ambient pop]
- Bat for Lashes — Lost Girls [synthpop]
- Caroline Polachek — Pang [art pop]
- Floating Points — Crush [future garage, IDM]
- Matana Roberts — Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis [avant-garde jazz, poetry]
- Sudan Archives — Athena [art pop]
- Andy Stott — It Should Be Us [dub techno, dubstep]
- FKA twigs — Magdalene [art pop]
- Have a Nice Life — Sea of Worry [gothic rock]
- Life on Venus — Odes to the Void [shoegaze]
- Special Request — Vortex, Bedroom Tapes, Offworld, and Zero Fucks [acid techno, ambient techno, breakbeat, jungle]
Free Lunch EP
Release date: August 30, 2018
Genres: acid techno, ambient techno, IDM
Highlight: Consumer Recreation Services
Heavy Merging EP
Release date: March 1, 2019
Genres: acid techno, ambient techno, outsider house
Highlight: Balance Acid
Max Ravitz‘s work is sadly largely unknown and underrated, but he consistently produces one of my favorite electronic records over the last years. Needs to be shared.
Release date: October 21, 2019
Genres: 2-step, ambient, ambient techno, breakbeat, future garage, IDM
Highlight: Slow Music
Second EP from Skee Mask this year after 808BB. The latter is also of interest. On ISS004, we see certain amount of interest in future garage, but WARP-type ambient techno and IDM of early to mid 90’s is still a considerable influence.
Release date: October 18, 2019
Genres: ambient techno, future garage, IDM, progressive electronic
Highlight: Last Bloom
Complex and eclectic album influenced both by 90’s ambient techno and IDM best examples and recent future garage-related records. LesAlpx, on the other hand, is more in line with Jon Hopkins‘s recent work. Certainly, one of the best electronic releases of the year.
There is a lot to be written about Telefon Tel Aviv and Joshua Eustis, but right now this is his new track:
The last part is marvellous, reminded me the work of Gridlock. This was the previous track (from 2017):
An LP (first after the death of Charles Cooper in 2009) is going to be relesed later this year.
The music is not as complex, as that of some of Bogdan’s inspirations, but the album is pretty enjoyable with a nostalgic 90’s atmosphere. Certainly a satisfying comeback. Have been listening regularly during the last two months.